20 May 2009

Update!

Lots of scraps today: firstly, I’ve reinstated the option to search the dictionary by letter after several readers said they had liked it. Thanks to Irve for the formatting suggestion that keeps the letters separate from the names.

Secondly, for anyone who followed the spectacular poll between the two words, pretend and family, the former won with 77% percent of the total 1,590 votes. Google’s cache of family has now disappeared into the electronic ether, and the poll box I had up for a while will soon follow.

Finally, one of the nice things about having lots of new readers is that you discover lots of new links. So... My First Dictionary will be building up a blogroll of sites that share its morbid preoccupations (see the menu bar to the right). The first addition is Diane’s delightful Wouldn’t You Like to See Something Strange? I’ll add others when I feel like it, if I feel like it, and when I’m not too busy with my roadkill photography project.

8 comments:

Darainjd said...

mmmm roadkill...

iamthebrillo said...

Has anyone else noticed that roadkill tends to get stuck in your teeth more than regular food? Anyone?

Robert Seddon said...

As I mentioned on the other post, Google's cache is transient but the image of 'family' is still visible for posterity if you know its URL.

It's good to see the letters back. I'd hate to see the Dictionary lose its utility as a teaching resource.

Ross Horsley said...

Thanks, Robert. Link updated!

Anonymous said...

is anyone else getting a bizarre error message when trying to open WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO SEE SOMETHING STRANGE? I've tried thrice and I i get "Explorer Could Not Open the Page"

I guess I'll go home and open it on my mac.

Isaac Yassar said...

Nope I don't get any error, everything is normal and the photos are great.

Diane said...

i'd totally missed this so i wanted to put my thanks in the appropriate place! :)

Anonymous said...

Forget the photo project and turn MFD into a book.